Main Navigation

Licensing Resources


Home Department Resources

Departments & Programs

Departments & Programs

University of Utah Trademarks & Licensing regulates the use of University marks on all products and in association with entities outside of the University of Utah. This includes uses coordinated by University departments and programs. Department-specific branding is regulated by University Marketing & Communications in accordance with the University’s Brand Guidelines. However, Trademarks & Licensing is still responsible for making sure merchandise bearing the University’s likeness is sourced from licensed vendors.

When do I need to get approval to use university marks?


You will need to get approval to use the University of Utah trademarks in most instances. Below is a guide of who you will need to get approval from in different use cases.

Approval Needed from Licensing & Trademarks Office

Trademarks & Licensing is your contact for approval regarding:

  • All Apparel:  All uses of University trademarks on apparel items require prior approval from the University of Utah Trademarks and Licensing office, e.g. uniforms, outerwear, and t-shirt giveaways, etc.
  • All Promotional Goods: All uses of University trademarks on products require prior approval from the University of Utah Trademarks and Licensing office, even if the proposed uses do not involve the sale of a product; e.g. promotional items for conferences or meetings, items for fundraisers, gifts, etc.
  • Promotional Advertising: Any use of the mark in association with outside entities.
  • Other: All other uses, except those listed under Univerisity Marketing & Communications
Approval Needed from University Marketing & Communications

University Marketing & Communications is your contact for approval regarding:

  • Use of trademarks in the ordinary course of conducting University business when it requires changes to the design or approved colors of University trademarks, or does not adhere to the University brand guidelines. No need for approval if you are using trademarks in compliance with University brand guidelines on stationery, business cards, reports, official publications, posters, banners and similar materials, and materials used in academic courses.
  • Any questions regarding the use of the University of Utah trademarks for these internal purposes should be directed to University Marketing & Communications.


Products bearing the University of Utah Trademarks or a specific department logo must be purchased from a licensed vendor. Using an officially licensed vendor ensures that correct product liability insurances and a signed agreement to the University of Utah Code of Conduct are on file. The University has a number of licensed vendors that specialize in working with University programs and departments. These licensed vendors are identified by the (Internal Only) tag next to the vendor name. Up to date licensed vendor information can be found below.

To ensure consistency and accuracy in the use of the University of Utah trademarks, all product designs must be approved by the University of Utah Trademark and Licensing office before production. Typically, the licensed vendor submits the design for approval on behalf of the organization/department. However, if there are questions concerning the design, the organization’s representative may contact the Trademark & Licensing office directly.

University of Utah departments, groups, and registered student organizations may not assign trademark usage rights or otherwise grant permission, to any other internal or external entity for any purpose without prior review and approval by the University of Utah Trademarks & Licensing office.

When is it acceptable to NOT use a licensed vendor?

Printed materials including banners, posters, pamphlets, brochures, department-specific stickers, and other similar informational or promotional print items. This list excludes stationary. 

Trademark registration

Does your college or department have a specific program name/logo you would like to protect?

In the United States, it is not required to register marks to obtain protectable rights. You can establish “common law” rights in a geographic area for a mark based solely on the use of the mark in connection with goods, or displaying the mark in the sale or advertising of services. The best way to protect a trademark is to ensure its use consistently and for a long period of time. Trademark protection begins with disciplined use rather than upon registration. Further protection can also be obtained through registering a mark with the State of Utah in order to protect the mark for its intended use. In exceptional circumstances, it may be necessary to seek Federal Registration with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. For more information on registering a trademark, please contact our office.

If your department or program is interested in registering a trademark, please read the following information and fill out the University of Utah trademark questionnaire below. 




We are here ready to answer your questions. Contact us today for more information.

Contact Us