Main Navigation

Licensing Resources


Home Licensing 101 & FAQs

Licensing 101


The University of Utah licensing program was established in 1979 to oversee the use of the institution’s trademarked names and marks. After twenty-six years of being administered by the University Bookstore, the program’s growth and success led to the creation of the Licensing Office in December 2005. Trademark, name, and image licensing are now handled exclusively through this new department in cooperation with the University of Utah administration.

Since 1983, the Collegiate Licensing Company has served as the University of Utah's exclusive licensing agent, and been a crucial partner in helping the University of Utah become ranked as one of the top 50 schools in the United States for licensing revenue.

The licensing program began as a vehicle to protect and promote the University of Utah's marks. While this is still at the core licensing program’s mission, the continuing evolution of intellectual properties now broadens the scope of the department to include still and moving images, audio and video broadcasts as well as data rights management.



Approved Vendors

Prospective Licensees

The University licensing program oversees the use of the University of Utah's marks and name. Vendors who wish to use those marks in the manufacturing of products must first become a licensed vendor with the University of Utah. Regardless of how the product is used (giveaway, internal consumption by the University, retail, etc.), only licensed vendors are authorized to use the University of Utah marks and name. A "licensed vendor" status is only obtained through the University of Utah's Licensing Department; no other University department may authorize a vendor to use the institution's marks or name.

Find An Approved Vendor

Approved vendors can be found using CLC's licensee search

  • Search vendors for a specific product by using the ‘Step 1: Pick a Product Category’ box
  • Under ‘Step 2: Pick a School’ select the University of Utah.
    • Additionally, you can skip step 1 and select the University of Utah to view all licensed vendors.
    • Some vendors may have an ‘Internal Only’ indication next to their listing. This indicates that these vendors only have rights to sell to University departments/groups.

Most licensed vendors have not been awarded University contracts. For University of Utah departments making purchases of $5,000 or more, you must contact the Purchasing Department at 801.581.7241 prior to completing this process.



Use of Images

Photographs & Video Footage

The Licensing Department oversees the use of still and moving images for the University. These images are usually pictures or films containing copyright or trademark content about the University of Utah. The use of all film and pictures bearing the trademarks of the University of Utah, or in which the institution holds the copyright, must be approved prior to any use. The most common type of request is for athletic film or pictures. All requests for still and moving images, regardless of content, should be directed to Getty Images at

In cases where the University does not own the copyright to the film being used but their trademarks still appear, permission can be received by contacting Getty Images as well.

For internal employee image requests, we utilize PhotoShelter. Contact us and we can help you.

The athletic department issues press credentials for those authorized to take pictures or film of University Athletic Events. When issued a credential, the bearer agrees to the terms and conditions listed on the back. That information is also available at

Use of Logos

Logos & Trademarks Verbiage

The Licensing Department oversees the use of all the logos and trademarks for the University. The University owns and protects the following trademarks and verbiage, however, this list is not comprehensive and is subject to change:

  • The University of Utah®
  • Utah®
  • Utes™
  • Utah Utes™
  • Interlocking U®
  • UU™
  • UofU™
  • U of U™
  • Block U®
  • Circle & Feather®
  • Red Rocks™
  • Runnin’ Utes™
  • Swoop ™
  • Salt Lax City™
  • Utah’s University™
  • Utah Man™
  • Utah Man Am I™
  • UBoyz™
  • The MUSS™
  • Ute Proud®
  • All About U™
  • Lady Utes™
  • FanUp™
  • GamerU™
  • Utah Red Zone™
  • One U™
  • University Seal
  • University Medallion
  • U Health Helix mark®

If you wish to use any of these trademarks or have a question regarding the use of our marks, please apply for a license here or contact the Trademarks & Licensing office at (801) 581-6245.



We are here ready to answer your questions. Contact us today for more information.

Contact Us